Temple Beth El is a Reform synagogue serving the Jewish community of Tacoma and the greater South Puget Sound area. With over 250 family units, the congregation offers worship services, educational programs for adults and children and a variety of activities to serve its membership and the greater community.
Temple Beth El was created in 1960 with the merger of Temple Beth Israel (the first Jewish congregation in Tacoma), established in 1892, and Temple Sinai. Under the leadership of Rabbi Bruce Kadden and Cantor Leah Elstein, the congregation has become known for its community engagement and its welcoming of all who are interested in exploring Judaism.
The Temple’s Tikkun Olam (Repairing the World) Committee oversees a variety of programs which actively engage members in improving our community. Along with St. Andrew’s Episcopal Church, the congregation sponsors the Jackson Street Food Bank and hosts Phoenix House and the bloodmobile from Cascade Regional Blood Services. The Temple actively supports programs of Associated Ministries including the annual Hunger Walk and Paint Tacoma/Pierce Beautiful, collects clothing for women returning to work and children, and contributes school supplies and clothing to Communities in Schools.
Temple Beth El is excited to reflect on the issue of family homelessness with other congregations so that our community becomes better informed about homelessness and can be a better advocate for this issue.